Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Christmas Countdown Day 3 - Start of Christmas baking and Poinsettia

Today was a day of remembering. My neighbor and I were reminiscing of our firefighter days. He told me stories of being a Fire Boat Captain and eventually becoming a Chief in the lower mainland of British Columbia. I shared some funny stories of when I was an Okanagan Fire fighter and first responder. I even showed him pictures... we sure had some good laughs.

When I came back to my place after our morning coffee and chat, I got thinking of Mom, again. I started to get sad, but I pushed it down and thought, "What would Mom do today as part of remembering?" Hmmmmm, then I thought, cookies! I pulled out the butter and while it softened, I gathered my other ingredients. Realized I was out of cornstarch so had to run into town...

As you know if you are an avid baker or cook, you can't just pick up One Thing in the store. 

Nope, I picked up a Poinsettia plus picked up the stuff to make my special Chewy Coconut Chews, the cornstarch for sure, found a sugar cookie kit! You have to see it! I laughed and so did the produce woman, she had never seen such a funny kit... Here let me show you

I am not making the kit today, but I thought you would get a kick out of it.
Ha ha ha ha ha I'm not artistic so this should be easy

If you are throwing an Ugly Sweater Party, you might want to find this kit to add some fun to your party. 





Anyway, I did make Mom's favorite cookies. She loved my Whipped Shortbread cookies and said she never had the patience to whip them as long as I did to make them melt in the mouth. This time, I added a touch of the holidays to them.  Half the batch anyways...
While baking I had a couple little visitors...

This is a Pygmy Nuthatch
Downy Woodpecker

Tomorrow I will continue my Christmas baking. I will save some of the goodies for my family, but I plan on carrying on Mom's tradition of giving out the goodie packages to friends over the holidays. I think she'd like that I'm continuing her favorite part of the holiday; baking and handing out the goodies.

I miss you Mom. 

Mom and I, Mother's day 2017










No comments:

Post a Comment