Sunday, December 22, 2019

Christmas Countdown Day 22 - Confession and Homemade Candy and Truffles

Mom's Amazon Lily bloomed but I accidently broke the flower stem, so I'm saving it here.

I've had people ask me why I've spent the past few weeks writing about Christmas and the things I'm doing everyday. They want to know why I'm doing all kinds of baking and making different homemade things. I told them that it's because I'm trying to find Christmas again, without my Mom and her love of Christmas. Truth is, that's only part of it.

You see, since I was injured in March, I've been unable to work and between waiting for surgery to repair my shoulder, depressed because of inability to do my favorite activities, etc, the final straw is the disability pay is very limited. A small fraction of what my regular pay is. So I have had to make major adjustments to my living style.

Christmas is no different. Gifts, food, spending ... Well, you get the idea. Challenges.

So I had to reach deep inside me to find what I needed to, to make Christmas special for my son, family, friends... me.

The journey began, with my first blog and continues through this post. I want you to understand that no matter what your situation is. Whether you are feeling alone, no funds for Christmas, no idea what to do to make things special for your family, you aren't alone.

I might not be able to buy the traditional gift for my family, but I can go back in time to before there were big box stores, malls, internet, Amazon, etc and give what I have. I know how to bake and I love doing crafts. That's where I started.

People love homemade treats. It doesn't have to be crazy, wild, imaginative foods. It can be something normal that you enjoy making... like cookies, cakes, nuts n bolts, etc. But if you're like me and you like creating you can search  for simple easy things to do and make. I was surprised at how many things I had in the home already that I could use to make Christmas just a bit more festive on a very tight budget.

And these delectable candies and truffles were no different. 

Check out my very first try of making, what my son calls, Candy Cane Gummies. They're really peppermint flavored with a red food dye in it, but I wasn't going to argue with him. He knows me and Candy Canes are all about Christmas.




 My son says they taste like jello... ha ha ha ha ha So I tried them. Yup, not the same texture as store bought gummies, but they are good. Mmmmmmm peppermint.

                                                          

Now to show off my truffles. 


So I've decided to make two kinds. Coconut and Cocoa. My family, I hope will like them.

These are going to be part of my gifts to the family. Along with some of the baking I've been doing.

Well, that's it for tonight. I'm going back to make the rest of the Truffles. 

Good night everyone. Thanks for reading. 

Remember, no matter the budget, you don't have to spend, like the media wants you to. Let's bring back family time, home and traditions this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment