Thursday, November 29, 2012

Rode a 1000 Gallon Pumper. You Try Saying that with a straight face!

Last night's fire practice was a bit more relaxed. Nothing extreme to report other then we were getting the christmas lights tightened on the roof of the fire hall and turned on. At one point, I was hanging over the edge of the roof (trust me it's not easy when there's nothing holding you in place while you reach for a fallen string of lights). I have longer arms then my partner did, he grabbed me, I grabbed the lights. Other then that little excitement, we pretty much hung out on the roof watching cop cars driving around and wondering what they were up to. Looking for someone? LOL

After we were done on the roof, 2 of us got a lesson in driving the 1000 gallon pumper truck and went for a ride. First time my partner got to drive the truck and I sat in the back with another member as he explained our roll in a call to a  structure fire or MVA from this place on the vehicle. It was really fascinating. Kinda funny how the more you learn while training to be the best fire fighter you can be the more you want to learn and the better you want to be.

I'm put out a challenge there for all my readers. No matter what you are doing in your life, career or home, figure out what you are passionate about and go for it 110%! Trust me, it's the most amazing thing to see what you can do. Never give up on yourself. Because when you give up on you, others will too. But if you are dedicated to what you want, you'll be surprised at the people that are drawn into your life to support  you, motivate you and lift you up.

We all deserve a moment in the spotlight; no matter where that light shines... up a chimney, down a sewer tank, underground covered in dust, out in space, on stage or taxiing people from place to place. As long as you are loving what you are doing, nothing is going to make you dim or dull, but you.

I'm taking a physical test on Saturday for something I dreamt about doing all my life. I don't know how I'm going to do, I've been told I'll do just fine but I am still cautious. There's nothing wrong with being cautious but I don't want to stop myself before I've even tried.

I'll keep you posted as I go through the rest of the days. But take it from me. If I hadn't of joined this amazing group of guys here at the OK Falls Fire Hall I would not have known what I was missing and perhaps regretted it for the rest of my life.

I salute ALL volunteer fire fighters and all those that are taking a leap and seeing what they can do to become one of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment