Sunday, November 4, 2012

Call Outs Keep Me Learnin

Two call-outs today. One was for First Responder, the second one was for a structure fire. Both times I didn't go out on the calls as there were enough senior members who showed up. But I got to hang out in the radio room and see what goes on back at the hall while the trucks are out. It's kinda fun!

I got to do the paperwork too. Yes, I know how boring...paper work. LOL Trust me, it's exciting listening to the radio chatter, taking notes, filling in the times, incidents and everything else. Eavesdropping with permission. Ha Ha Ha

There is a routine in the firehall that I never really expected. I always thought it was grab your gear and get out to wherever you had to be. Helter-skelter scramble, but I've come to appreciate that our firehall has a great chain of command and everyone is important. No matter how little training I have I still feel like I'm able to contribute. I get handed a job, they ask if I can do it. I do the job, the best part is when I do come up against something I haven't done and ask questions, there is always 2 or 3 members who are willing to tell me what I need to know and don't mind sharing their knowledge! After three times of being told the same thing, in three different ways, I don't forget that part of whatever job it is I was asking about. hee hee

It's a blast hanging out with the chief and guys at the hall while the rest of the crew heads out to the job. I miss the excitement of being on the call, but it's still busy back at the department. From gathering the faxed reports, listening to Dispatch and filling in our paperwork, filing, cleaning the debris that comes through the open doors after the trucks leave to preparing the check-lists for when the trucks get back. Everything has it's time and place. Kinda nice to see so much organization in a Volunteer Department.

Well, gotta go grab a tea. Sorry Mom I'm stealing one of your chamomile teas tonight...lol need to slow down and get some sleep. Dang that adeline rush :P Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment