Thursday, November 8, 2012

Oh my Knees!! Can We Do it Again!?!

Last nights fire practise left me a little raw. No I'm serious! Literally my knees are raw! Ugh, and I have to wear my rough denim pants to work...ouch. I'm not putting bandages on the knees though. Forget that, they need to figure out how to heal on their own. If I put band-aids on every sore I got from work, practise, etc I'd be a walking mummy. Oh wait, I am a walking Mommy. LOL

Ok, let me start from the beginning. I got to the hall for our weekly meeting/practise and just before the meeting started I asked everyone permission to take a couple pictures of them gearing up, etc one of these days. I've been told that I needed to ask the Chiefs permission to write about the hall, practise, etc because of confidentiality and he needs to make sure that I'm behaving.

You know me... do I behave? hee hee ok, leave that alone. When I mentioned that it's coming from my prospective as a new recruit and the journey to being a fire fighter he didn't seem to have a problem with it. I'm sure he'll read my blogs now. "Hi Chief!" and I'll be getting a couple action pictures from the Oliver Chronicle to post that I've got permission to use from this past summer grass fire we were at.

So pictures are coming. I'll keep writing and we'll keep enjoying each others company. Deal?

Ok, back to the hall... After our brief meeting to find out what we were doing... Chris (the other newbie) and I got split up and I got put on Tag Team 1. Mike says we are the A-Team. Ha ha ha Complete bunker gear, tanks, masks, the whole nine yards had to be put on for this practise. There was three people to each team and we went out first. The fire hall was blacked out and filled with smoke (like they use at rock concerts). I was the one who had to test the door. Don't worry I did it with the back of my hand and checked the level of heat. We had to go out with a hose through the fire hall on our hands and knees. I got the axe and was second in the line. hee hee It's ok, we're all safe with me having sharp things.

Mike was third man on the hose and fed it to us while we went searching for victims. Marty was in lead and as we were going in the dark he would tell me where to go. Before we started out the door he told me I had to hold on to his right boot while going through so we wouldn't lose each other. So while we were crawling (thus the raw knees today) I kept hold of his right boot with my right hand while hanging on to the ax with my left hand. Do you know how hard it is to crawl with your hands full? ha ha ha 

We found a victim, but it wasn't the one we were looking for, it was a "man down". I helped drag him out of where he was and we had to call for more oxygen for him, he was running low and couldn't get out because of the "broken leg". All in all it was a great experience and I really had a blast.

Ok enough yammering. Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment