Wednesday, May 8, 2013

So much for Oxygen practice, We tore a car apart

Now this was a fun night. I really should learn not to be surprised that the agenda is going to change from week to week with my fire hall.

Last week, remember, we were suppose to run time tests on the oxygen tank and start teaching a couple new guys. Instead we got to use the jaws and a few other really cool tools on a car. MVA practice.

I used the small jaws, large cutters, and the hooligan, yes, I said it, hooligan. It's such a cool tool. I'll have to see if I can find some pictures of what some of our tools were that we used tonight.

But thanks to Mike, I have one picture of us learning. I'm number 35 :)



You can see the hooligan in Cam's hand beside me. In front of our instructor is the jack for the dash area. We were learning about added attachments, etc.

Smashing windows with a tiny pin (like a pen that has a spring in it instead of ink), cutting seat belts, supporting patiences, assessing who should come out first, second and last and who not to focus on. Yes, there are those who do get put last. Not because their lives are worth less but because those with a serious injury that will live come first. There is a procedure.

It was really exciting tonight. Time flew. When I was getting ready to use the large cutter on the roof the fun ended. LOL Really I didn't do anything! OK, you don't believe me. Well, it was just as I got the machine up to head level the hydraulic fluid line, burst from the equipment and showered me and Cam in juices. 

We had to call it a night. It was that time anyway... and strip down to wash our gear. Clean up our mess and then work on putting the car away and clean up the glass, fluids, etc.

By the time we were finished we were all pretty tired but grinning from ear to ear. It was truly a great evening of learning. Next week we are supposedly having a repeat night. We shall see :)

Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment