Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Call out and fire practice back to back

Just after 6 we got a call out for First Responder, Fire Practice is at 7. Feeling almost normal after a week of migraine symptoms but actually a nasty flu, no longer contagious, I figured I'd go. Need the practice.

Yes! It was something different! 5 of us in a truck, drive across the street from the hall and oh by the way, possible heart attack! Ok, I'm not certified to help so I get to truck sit. Sweet, I can do this. I'd seen Lyonel block the driver's wheel many times, that I can handle. Out of the truck I go, grab the blocks and put them in place. Done, guys have gone in with equipment. Now what? I'm standing guard, pacing rather...ta de dum ta de dum... Stop on the side walk glance up the road, down the road, glance in the dark, chilly evening towards a couple people walking by... smile, nod, while I'm thinking, "this is boring. Where's the ambulance? Did I hear the radio in the truck? What's going on? Is the patient ok? What's taking so long? Ugh, can we go to practice now? I'm sure it's 7!"

Well, needless to say Ambulance did get there, guy was taken to hospital and we went back to the hall. 20 min from start to finish! Really? It felt like an hour!! I asked the driver, "So? What happened? Is he going to be ok? How come he was walked out? Wasn't a heart attack? What happened?" He laughed and answered my questions with, "It's ok, not a heart attack, just taking him to make sure though."

Actually it was kinda fun. I never knew what the driver went through while waiting for us to come back out. He really is left in the dark. I'm, of course, a curious duck and ask way too many questions and often get the patient older member answering me with sighs and sometimes I'm sure they feel like patting me on the head and telling me to go get a cookie so they have quiet again.  Just like the kid going "Huh? Well? Huh? Can I?" while hopping from one foot to the other and back again, clapping hands in excitement.

As for practice I still asked lots of questions. We were practicing the gear up, air tanks on, masks, etc. I did really good. My best time was 1:27. Some of the older members were 1:42, etc. But I was happy, I held my own.  One guy did it in :58. Which is awesome!

Next week we have to make sure we're read up on Power Line practices and regulations. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment