Monday, January 7, 2013

5 Call-outs This Weekend

Busy weekend for call-outs, at least Friday night and Saturday were busy. Sunday was just the way we like it... Quiet.

I got to go for the ride-along on the CO2 alarm call-out. In a mobile home the alarm kept going off and the couple worried about what was happening, did the smart thing, went to the neighbour's place and called us. Our Captain on scene went around and did an inspection before calling "All Clear". He let the owners know the alarm needed to be replaced (had been installed in the 80s) and they could go back in. Smoke detectors and CO2 detectors have an average 6-10 year life span. The best way to know is to look in where the battery is. It should have the date to replace there. Batteries should be replaced at least twice a year. This particular detector was hardwired into the mobile home and had no date. Still these types should be replaced after 10 years. Contact your local fire department if you have more questions or more information about the type of detectors you have in your home.

Another  of the call-outs from Saturday wasn't fun. Withdrawal from drugs isn't a pretty sight, even prescription drugs can be a problem. If someone has multiple prescriptions to take it can be a bit confusing as to which ones to take and when to take them. The pharmacies have a great idea with blister-paks for those on multiple prescriptions but it still can be overwhelming even for the spouse to monitor all the time. And tiring.

After a busy, adrenaline rush and crash day Saturday I think we all deserved a good rest day, Sunday. I know I did and I wasn't hands on as much as the others on the calls. With all the listening to, learning and writing down, let alone remembering (yes, I've been told I'm going to be tested on this stuff...lol) I am more aware this job isn't just about getting involved in the community. It's a big responsibility and not glamourous all the time.

Yes, I love to wear the bunker gear and proud to wear the uniform, but I also take it very seriously while I'm on the job. Jokes and cute pictures aside (you can see some of them on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/TLynneWrites ) I really believe that Volunteer Fire Fighters do an amazing job and deserve the respect and admiration of the community that we do see coming in because we give up a social life to be there on call 24/7. But we wouldn't be who we are if we didn't do this job.

The guys I work with are awesome and I'm sure each of your Fire Halls have a great team there too. So if you get the chance today, thank your local Fire Fighters for being willing to give up some of their own time to help you stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment